Shimla: The summer capital of erstwhile Britishers needs no introduction, a cool and must-visit destination during Indian summer: You will find numerous must-visit places in Shimla on the internet. Through my blog post, I tried my best to act as your guide for best & relevant places to visit in Shimla
LIST OF BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN SHIMLA
1. GO SHOPPING IN SHIMLA WITH AWESOME FOOD
The Mall: Main shopping street of Shimla.Mall road has a number of showrooms, department stores, shops, restaurants, and cafes. A Himachal emporium that offers handicraft products of Himachal Pradesh like locally designed woolen cloths, branded clothes, pottery items, and jewelry is also located here. It also has many restaurants, clubs, banks, bars, Post Offices and tourist offices. The Gaiety Theatre, scandal point, Kali Bari temple, Town Hall is also situated here.
2. GO EVENING WALK ON THE RIDGE
Christ Church: Situated on The Ridge, Christ Church is the second oldest church in Northern India. It has a very majestic appearance and inside there are stained glass windows which represent faith, hope, charity, fortitude, patience, and humility. The church looks absolutely magical during the night when lights placed at strategic corners illuminate this beautiful church. The church glows with all its beauty and grandeur and is an amazing sight to look at.
3. BE SPIRITUAL & SHOW YOUR ADVENTURE SKILL AT JAKUR Hill
Jakhu Hill: 2 km from Shimla, at a height of 8000 ft, Jakhu Hill is the highest peak an offers a beautiful view of the town and of the snow-covered Himalayas. At the top of the Hill, is an ancient temple of Lord Hanuman, which is also the home of countless playful monkeys waiting to be fed by all visitors.
One legend goes that Lord Hanuman stopped there to rest while he was searching for the Sanjivni Booti to revive Lakshman in the Epic Ramayana. On arrival at the temple, signs advise visitors to secure all personal belongings and beware of the monkeys, which are everywhere. A 108 feet (33 meters) statue of Lord Hanuman, at 8,500 feet (2,591 meters) above sea level, is the single statue to stand at the highest altitude among several other masterpieces in the world, overtaking the Christ Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
4. GO HISTORICAL AT SHIMLA STATE MUSEUM
Shimla State Museum: The Museum, which was opened in 1974, has tried to protect the cultural wealth of the state. There is a collection of miniature Pahari paintings, sculptures, bronzes wood-carvings and also costumes, textiles, and jewelry of the region.
5. COME TO MODERN WORLD WITH A VISIT TO IIAS
Indian Institute of Advanced Study: This institute is housed at the former Viceregal Lodge, built in 1884-88.It is also like a museum and excellent place for photography.The interiors are truly amazing and the place is worth a visit.
6. SUMMER HILL: EXPERIENCE OLD SHIMLA
Summer Hill: Situated at a distance of 5 km from The Ridge is the lovely township of Summer Hill, at a height of 6,500 ft on the Shimla-Kalka railway line. Mahatma Gandhi lived in these quiet surroundings during his visits to Shimla. Himachal Pradesh University is situated here.It is also known as Potter’s Hill.
7. PLAY SOME SPORTS AT ANNANDALE
Annandale: Developed as the playground of Shimla, Annandale is 2–4 km from The Ridge at a height of 6,117 ft. It is a very big beautiful ground, but not meant for playing as it comes under the Indian Army.
TARA DEVI: VISIT THE GODDESS OF STARS
Tara Devi: 11 km from the Shimla bus-stand. Tara Devi hill has a temple dedicated to the goddess of stars on top of the hill. There is a military Dairy Town here as well as the headquarters of Bharat Scouts and Guides.On Sundays, one can easily find a Langar going on here which serves delicious local food for free for every visitor.
GET YOUR FEAR AWAY AT SANKAT MOCHAN
Sankat Mochan: A very famous Lord Hanuman temple is located here. This temple is a place where one can actually meditate and enjoy the calm and peaceful surroundings. Lush green trees surround Sankat Mochan Temple and the backdrop consists of the imposing and lofty Himalayan ranges and a light mist adds the mystical touch to that place.
PLACES NEAR TO SHIMLA FOR DAY TRIP
- Mashobra: 13 km from Shimla, site of the annual Sipi fair in June. Kufri: 16 km from Shimla at a height of 8,600 ft, Kufri is the local winter sports center, and it also has a small zoo.
- Naldehra: 22 km from Shimla, with a nine-hole Naldehra Golf Club. The annual Sipi fair in June is held in Naldehra.
- Chail: Chail was built as the summer retreat by the Maharaja of Patiala during the British Raj, it is known for its cricket pitch, the highest in the world. Overlooking Satluj Valley, Shimla, and Kasauli are also visible at night from here.
- Tattapani: Location of sulphur springs which are found near the Tatapani mandir(holy temple). You will have a chance to see an ice cold river and hot water springs less than 2 feet from each other.